Indianmeal Moth Control in MA
Indianmeal Moth Control Call Waltham Pest Control 781-893-2146
Waltham Pest Control provides indian meal moth control services to home owners throughout Greater Boston Massachusetts. If your home has been infested with indian meal moths, call Waltham Pest Control today and we will provide you with a free estimate to treat your indian meal moth infestation.
About Indianmeal Moths In Massachusetts
The Indian Meal Moth was given its name after an insect scientist found it feeding on corn meal, also known as Indian meal. From wing tip to wing tip, the adult moth measures between 5/8” – 3/4’” long. The forewings are pale grey with the outer portion of the wing a reddish-brown to copper color. The adults are often seen flying around lights in the house in the evenings. The female moths lay up to 300 eggs just below the surface of stored grains and other food materials. Indian Meal Moths may live as little as 27 days to as many as 305 days, depending on environmental conditions. These moths like to feed on dried fruits, grains, seeds, nuts, chocolate, candies, bird seed, dog food, powdered milk, dried red peppers and candy.
Indianmeal Moth Control Techniques
Once you’ve located and removed the source of the infestation, an application of residual insecticide may be applied to areas such as the corners of cabinets and other storage areas to help eliminate the larvae during the crawling stage of this pest’s life To help control the moths, we can use glue traps which utilizes a male sex attractant. Although this may be somewhat effective, the females will not be lured to this trapping method. Room foggers may be used to control moths. This method will kill moths that are present at that time but not those that may hatch later.
Preparation for Indian Meal Moth Treatment
- All kitchen cabinets must be emptied in items placed on the table, not on the counter.
- All food taken out of cabinets thrown away, even if it is unopened (unless it is a can or sealed jar)
- The food must be placed in plastic bags and disposed of outside of the house (not in the basement or garage).
- You must remain out of the house during the treatment and for 2 to 3 hours afterwards.
What to do after technician’s departure:
- Do not return food to cabinets unless it is in an airtight container, (zip lock bags are not recommended).
- Once you have been Indian Meal Moth free for five weeks you may return to normal routine (the Indianmeal Moth Treatment takes 3 to 5 weeks to be effective).